Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Finding My Personal Path

     I am so fortunate to be surrounded by family and friends that support me and are influential in my life. Everyday I learn something new about myself and what I want in my life. Today, I had the opportunity to have a great chat with Lynn and left with a renewed perspective. What is life without adventure - living on the edge of my comfort zone and escaping the familiar - and taking risks? 

     I have pushed myself more than ever this summer, and I come out feeling so happy with my life! However, this is just the beginning. I want to continue doing daring things and find what makes me feel good. The mantra of Eat, Sleep, Move resonates within me because that is where it starts. I worked out hard this summer, got adequate sleep, and for the most part, took care of my nutrition. Then, I took a few weeks in August where I fell off track, and honestly, I felt awful. My energy levels were depleted - I always felt tired - and my focus was off. In a sense, I closed myself off from living! Once I started regaining control, I felt immediate improvement. 

     I am trying out a new gym this fall called Cross Fit. There was an introductory class I attended this morning, and it pushed me harder then I have in a long while. It is so easy to give up and easy to make excuses not to work out. How often do I hear the excuse that people cannot make time? In reality though, there is time. If you want to improve your life, you will make the time, and excuses will be a thing of the past. You are only hurting yourself with excuses. My perspective has completely changed this summer, and I cannot turn back. The seed that was planted a few weeks ago when I fell off track and felt like shit will continue to grow as I explore.

     I am at a place in my life where my mind is constantly flooded with questions about my future. Hour to hour I can feel different about where my personal path is heading; of course, I want to go to graduate school and obtain a doctoral degree. I am intimidated though and sometimes question if I am going the right way. Applying to graduate school is my most daring adventure right now - I come from a background where even going to college was not talked about. I never even knew what a doctoral degree was until a few years into my education at CMU. I am ready to take the plunge, and if I find down the road I took the wrong path, I can always find a new adventure. Things can be undone, and nothing is set in stone. I am thankful for the encouragement I receive, and I hope that I give the same support to those close to me. 

     Life really is not anything without taking risks, so here is to my adventure of navigating this thing we call life one new experience after another!

No comments:

Post a Comment