Monday, August 19, 2013

The End of Summer "Vacation"

Hard to believe the new school year starts in less than a week - I am still waiting for my break this summer. This summer has been the busiest thus far, and although there was not much vacation time, I am proud of all that I accomplished. I am nervous about being burned out when the semester starts, but it will be a different kind of busy compared to summer. I think now is an appropriate time to reflect and make some affirmations for the future. 

I cannot say enough exceptional things about McNair - it has changed my life thanks to wonderful staff and my cohort. I count all of them among my friends. In particularly, Lynn and Amanda C. have helped me change for the better. Lynn and I have a similarity that our personal strength is being a relator, so I find myself connected to her well. Her go-with-the-flow attitude matches mine, but she helped push me further. Through yoga and focusing on myself, I have made great strides. Amanda has become one of my closest friends. I can always share with her, and she has been there for me through good and bad times this summer. I cannot thank her enough for the impact she has had on me.

Summer has been a rollercoaster ride - my lowest moment was my breakup this summer. Then, there was the stress every now and then of McNair requirements but it did not compare. It took some time and support but I was able to move on because I needed to focus on myself. 

Enough negative - summer has been exceptionally positive! I really got into my yoga practice and now it is a foundation for me. I went kayaking for the first time. I spent time with family camping. I completed my GRE and did well above my goal. I compiled my list of graduate schools: Texas A&M University, University of Houston, and University of Florida. I have nearly finished my research project for the summer. I am a bit intimidated in writing my paper, but I am excited for its completion. I am going to continue research throughout the fall semester for additional analysis and have a stronger paper to submit for publication. One of the most important parts of this summer was being open about being bisexual. I am so comfortable with myself now and have gone on a few dates with a guy which have been awesome! It is so nice to be myself completely.

Once classes start, I want to do well. My goal is to make the Dean's list this semester. I have a personal deadline of October 15 for having all my graduate school materials in. I will be presenting at a national conference in early October! I want to continue working out which will be easy with Quidditch starting up again! I need to stick with getting back on track to better nutrition, and I want to make sure to get adequate sleep so I do not get run down. I am thrilled for the fall semester, but it is hard to believe that senior year is less than a week away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment