Sunday, September 29, 2013

The Past - Not So Relevant

Well, I was going to make my first video post this weekend, but then I got sick, so that wasn't going to be happening. Stay tuned next week for my first video!

Let me introduce myself:

I'm Andrew. and I am a student at Central Michigan University finishing my major in Neuroscience and applying to Master's of Public Health programs. I am geared towards helping people redefine success in their lives by starting with the physical body and working our way inside to find inner peace. I am currently developing my professional "feel," and my challenge is targeting my ideal clients. If you are ready to feel more alive and get rid of unnecessary clutter that is holding you back, let's talk further!

My cocktail line.
My "brand."
My current career challenge.

Not talking about my past.

Let me repeat that - not talking about my past. How often do we get caught up in things that happened yesterday, last month, last year, or even further back? We need to look towards the future and live in the present. The past is only going to bog us down and hold us back from our true potential. However, in order to let the past go, we need to analyze it, so we can understand its hold on us. Then, how about we say goodbye?

Remember, the past is not as relevant as we make it seem. 

What are my three biggest screwups?
  1. When I first got to Central Michigan University, I was set on what I wanted to do and signed my neuroscience major without a question in my mind. I never took time to explore what truly made my passion burn and wish I had held off. Going into health fitness/nutrition, I could be taking classes that got me interested.
  2. Silence. By silence, I mean not taking a stand for fairness and equal rights. As a part of several marginalized groups, I wish I had not stayed silent for so long. Now, I am becoming more active to help voices be heard and stop oppression.
  3. Lacking expression. For too long, I have always felt like I needed to fit into the "normal" group. Screw that! Now, I am open with myself and learning to become more of an individual and let my personal light shine.
What did I learn?
  1. I learned that it is okay to change my mind, and most importantly, my major gives me an edge on other applicants because I bring something unique to the table. I like being different.
  2. I learned that is never too late to start making a difference, and I have time to make up for all the years that I was quiet.
  3. Who cares what other people think? I am who I am, and I love who I am. If others do not, then they are missing out on what I have to offer. 
Can I see a pattern in the lessons I learned?

I think the underlying issue is lack of confidence. With confidence comes the ability to take control, make an impact, and do it while being fabulously expressive!

How did what I learned change the way I approach things?

I approach things with more confidence and a desire for change! I see when other people are facing similar struggles, and I am apt to help them. Its what I want to do with my life. 

Funny, I thought the past was holding me back because that's the perspective I had. However, it shaped me. I am stronger now because of it, and as of today, I am saying goodbye. I hope you can do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment