Saturday, September 7, 2013

Quality of Easy

Easy. We all wish life could just be easier sometimes, and the truth is, it can be! I'm not talking about taking shortcuts or being lazy, but I'm talking about walking away from things that aren't doing anything for you. We need to be okay with saying, "No." I recently had my own development and I said no to graduate school. The life of a researcher is not for me, and this was a daunting task for me. I was all set and had everything lined up to get my doctoral degree. What good though would a Ph.D. be if I felt stifled everyday working away in a lab. Instead, I chose easy in the sense of doing what I am passionate about. It is the first step.

When you choose easy, you choose something that is going to produce the greatest results because with pleasure comes the desire to expand horizons - there is no limit to what you can do when you have a burning passion! I want to become a health and wellness/life coach, and when I finally put my finger on it, I knew it was right. I felt enthusiasm unlike anything before! It was a wonderful feeling that I knew was the beginning of something incredible. I feel so giddy over everything along with a sense of empowerment. Amazing!

I am currently finishing session 2 of the Fire Starter Sessions, and here are my thoughts on a few probing questions.

What actually needs to get done in my life and livelihood?

1) I need to do well in my classes and keep working towards finishing my bachelor's degree. 
2) I need to finish my summer research project. 
3) I want to start developing my own personal style of coaching and start to network with people who can help me develop my strengths.
4) I need to workout, get good sleep, and continue to eat right. 
5) I need to spend time with people close to me. 
6) I need to be active with Quidditch. 

What's my competency level for each activity?

1) Great - I have always been good at school and without hard science classes this semester, subject matter is easier.
2) Great - I am good at the research process and understanding the project I am working on.
3) Novice - I don't know much yet.
4) Brilliant - eat, sleep, and move! It is a mantra I now live by :)
5) Brilliant - I love having deep conversations with those close to me and hanging out.
6) Brilliant - Quidditch is more important than academics to me at times and when I am playing, I am a awesome asset to the team!

Which of these activities actually makes me feel strengthened?

Developing my personal coaching style, networking, working out, getting good sleep, eating right, spending time with people close to me, and Quidditch!

Which of these activities doesn't really light my fire?

Finishing my neuroscience major and finishing my summer research project!

What can I do to develop my strengths and interests?

First, I want to start developing an online presence through developing a professional blog. Second, I want to start seeking out inspiring individuals and see the path they have trod. Third, I want to continue with my yoga practice and potentially look at taking a teacher training course to begin a foundation.

What three actions will I take this week to condition and nourish my true strengths?

Number one: I have my first meeting with Lynn to start developing my professional blog.
Number two: I am going to talk with yoga instructors and learn more about teacher training.
Number three: I am going to research educational programs I can go into following undergrad.

What three actions will I take this week to decrease my time spent on activities that drag me down and don't feed my true strengths?

Number one: I am going to work hard and finish a majority of my research paper, so I can put the whole thing behind me.
Number two: I have to continue with my classes, but I will try to be more efficient.
Number three: Try out some new time management strategies.

No comments:

Post a Comment