Sunday, May 19, 2013

Could Have Gone to Culinary School

It's true! Culinary School was my backup plan if I didn't get accepted into a university or found it was not the right place for me. Cooking is a passion of mine, and I would not mind cooking for my career. However, that was not the case, but cooking is still a thing I love. 

Lately, I have been making small changes to a healthier lifestyle, and I find that cooking is one area where it is easy to improve. It is as simple as adding more vegetables to my meals, using lean meat, and staying away from things high in saturated fats. I have been doing a lot of reading as I try to change how I eat and discovering what they call super foods. Each week I am going to try to incorporate and experiment with different ones, and if they are good, I will add them into my regular diet.

This week I tried avocado. My girlfriend is a huge fan, and I decided I should give them a shot. I was not sorry for trying. Not only was it nutritious, but I ended up feeling very full afterwards which is not the usual case after I eat a salad. I ended up making a salad with the following:

  • Lettuce
  • Tomatoes
  • Sweet Onion
  • Green Pepper
  • Avocado (of course!)
  • Fresh squeezed lime juice
  • Salt and pepper

I want to encourage everyone to try and add something new to their diet - you may find something new that you really like, and you will be creating a healthier lifestyle for yourself.

Two other things I tried out this week:
White rice with chicken, green and red peppers, and onions - seasoned to taste

Lettuce, chicken, blueberries, blackberries, peaches, and peach juice for dressing

2 comments:

  1. I love to cook and these look great Andrew. I especially like how beautifully the colors complement one another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We should cook together! I really need to make healthier meal choices and expand what I know how to make.

    ReplyDelete