Thursday, May 16, 2013

My Fellow Scholars

When I first got an e-mail from Lynn asking if I was interested in the McNair Program, I decided to do some research on what being a part of it entailed. I was immediately interested in what the program could do for me but did not fully grasp how much it could change me because of the influence of my cohort - of course a huge part of the program is the research project and preparing for graduate school, but it is so much more. I am part of a family who fully supports and encourages me, and I in turn provide the same to each of them. 

Earlier this week we attended a retreat at Cran-Hill Ranch, and it was an incredible time for us because it was the first opportunity we got together as a group outside of the academic setting. I learned what drove each person and feel closer to each of my cohort. Now that the summer has officially started, I will be able to have more fun and grow along with everyone!

At the retreat, we took a few moments to reflect on how we want to feel. I want to encourage everyone to take a step back from their busy lives and reflect on how you all want to feel. It is a different way of thinking, and it has become an important mindset as I strive to reach my goals. As I continue to reflect, these are how I want to feel:
  • Valued
  • "On Fire"
  • Accomplished
I am happy to embark on this journey with my fellow scholars and support how they want to feel. It provides a unique bonding opportunity. The summer is filled with opportunities for growth as we all take steps towards healthier, well-rounded lifestyles. On Wednesdays, we get to practice yoga together and follow with meditation, a new experience for me and other scholars. Also, working out at the gym twice a week is motivating because we are all pushing each other when the going gets tough. Outside of exercise and health, we are all learning new skills as we work on our research projects and share what we are learning with one another. Furthermore, we all "LOVE THE GRE" and doing preparation together is encouraging. 

We are a newly formed family from different backgrounds coming together to work as a team!


No comments:

Post a Comment