Sunday, May 26, 2013

My Current Research

As part of the McNair Scholar Program, we have to develop a research proposal and conduct an undergraduate research project, a unique opportunity to give us an edge when it comes to applying for graduate school. Last week, I finally began working in the chemistry lab on my research project for the summer. It was thrilling, and I found myself losing track of time while I was working. Just what am I researching though? Here is the background.

For astronauts, space presents special problems because of microgravity, or a lack of gravity. Microgravity can lead to serious health problems including the loss of bone density which causes bones to become brittle and prone to injury. NASA has come up with fitness machines which use weight bearing exercises and nutritional plans to help combat this loss, but it has shown little effect. Hypergravity, where gravity exceeds normal G-forces experienced on Earth, is just the opposite of microgravity. A centrifuge can create a hypergravity environment when it spins because of the centrifugal force. 

Bone is composed of two elements: collagen, which is a protein, and apatite, a mineral. The focus of my research is on the mineral apatite. Apatite has been studied under normal conditions to see its crystal size and morpholog, but not under hypergravity. Using a series of different tests, I will look to see if hypergravity has an effect on changing the apatite structure which could lead to further advancements in treating the loss of bone density experienced by astronauts. 

Space has always been an interest for me since I was a little kid, and I am happy that it is still a part of my life. In graduate school, I want to enter a Ph.D. program in Kinesiology where I can further study effects on bones and muscles, specifically for the space life sciences. 

No comments:

Post a Comment